This digest provides resources for purchasing sustainable products. Use the resources to identify environmental considerations for products and services, where to obtain more information, and the rationale for purchasing sustainably.
Please contact the procurement team with any questions.
Sustainable procurement directory
This resource provides Practice Greenhealth members with guidance on more than 120 products and services health care organizations can target for sustainable procurement.
When purchasing medical products, identify the sustainability criteria through either the directory above or through resources listed in this digest. Product criteria may identify opportunities to use less, avoid chemicals of concern, increase waste reduction opportunities, or advance energy and water efficiency, providing the best value to health care organizations.
- Anesthetic gas: Use the resource to identify how to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by using less or eliminating the use of desflurane anesthetic gas.
- Blood pressure devices: Use the resource to specify devices that are mercury-free.
- Breast pumps and accessories: Use the resource to specify devices that are PVC/DEHP-free.
- Compression therapy sleeves: Use the resource to specify compression therapy sleeves that are reprocessed. Meet the goal to collect and purchase 20% reprocessed non-invasive devices compare to total.
- Smarter purchasing challenge: Medical device reprocessing
- Implementation module: Medical device reprocessing
- Endotracheal tubes: Use the resource to specify devices that are PVC/DEHP-free.
- Exam gloves: Use the resource to specify gloves that are PVC/DEHP-free.
- Face and oxygen masks: Use the resource to specify masks that are PVC/DEHP-free.
- Gastrointestinal tubes: Use the resource to specify gastrointestinal tubes that are PVC/DEHP-free.
- Laryngeal mask airways: Use the resource to specify laryngeal mask airway devices that are free of PVC/DEHP.
- Nasal cannulas: Use the resource to specify nasal cannulas that are free of PVC and DEHP.
- Nasogastric tubes: Use the resource to specify nasogastric tubes that are free of PVC and DEHP.
- Non-rebreather face masks: Use the resource to specify face masks that are free of PVC and DEHP.
- Tracheostomy tubes: Use the resource to specify tracheostomy tubes that are free of PVC and DEHP.
- Parenteral infusion devices and sets: Use the resource to specify infusion devices and sets that are free of PVC and DEHP.
- Pulse oximetry: Use the resource to specify and purchase reprocessed pulse oximetry devices.
- Respiratory tubes: Use the resource to specify and purchase respiratory tubes that are free of PVC and DEHP.
- Sterilization and disinfection: Use the resource to find out the pros and cons of various cleaning chemicals to inform purchasing decisions.
- Thermometers: Use the resource to specify and purchase mercury-free thermometers.
- Urological, general: Use the resource to specify and purchase general urological devices that are free of PVC and DEHP.
- Vascular catheters: Use this resource to specify vascular catheters that are free of PVC and DEHP.
- Building materials: For any building design, construction or remodeling contracts, specify materials that enhance the building interior and reduce exposure to chemicals of concern and minimize energy and water use.
- Disinfectants (surface)
- Fleet/autos: Reduce your organizations carbon footprint by purchasing fuel efficient or alternatively-fueled vehicles. But there are more ways to reduce impact with fleet.
- Floor cleaning
- Hand cleaners, hand hygiene
- Imaging equipment (copiers, printers, multi-functional devices)
- Janitorial cleaners
- Green cleaning
- Sample specification (Alameda County)
- Landscape irrigation controls
- LEED for health care
- Mobile phones
- Paper towels and tissue
- Paper, copy
- Personal care
- Office supplies
- Transportation: When purchasing services or products with frequent delivery, require suppliers be an EPA SmartWay Partner, or use freight carriers that are to reduce impact from fuel use.
When purchasing professional services, identify the sustainability criteria for RFIs/RFPs or value analysis through the resources below. Criteria for services may identify chemicals of concern, waste reduction strategies, or corporate sustainability opportunities the service must meet to provide value to your health care organization.
- Construction and demolition recycling: Use the resource to specify recycling services for construction and demolition debris.
- Integrated pest management services: Use the available resources to specify integrated pest management services to reduce public health risks to staff, patients, and visitors from the use of pesticides.
- Integrated pest management webpage
- Environmental considerations for integrated pest management
- Landscape services: Specify landscape maintenance services that supports a healthy environment.
- Laundry cleaning services: Specify more sustainable laundry services to reduce impacts to water quality in the community.
- Vending: Specify environmental considerations for vending machines to provide healthy food for staff, patients, and visitors.
- Bakery/baked goods: To avoid ingredients produced with synthetic pesticides, use the environmental criteria for processed foods.
- Beverages: To ensure ingredients meet the highest social and environmental criteria, use the environmental criteria for beverages (non-dairy).
- Dairy: To avoid food produced with synthetic pesticides or growth hormones, use the environmental criteria for dairy products.
- Dry goods: To avoid food produced with synthetic pesticides, use the environmental purchasing criteria for grains and legumes.
- Eggs: To avoid purchasing eggs from hens that consumed feed produced with synthetic pesticides and more, use the environmental criteria for eggs.
- Environmental considerations for eggs
- Understanding labels: Sustainable eggs
- Meat: To ensure you are purchasing meat not produced without the use of antibiotics, use the environmental criteria for meat.
- Oils and shortenings: Use the suggested environmental considerations in your RFIs/RFPs to help inform your purchasing decisions.
- Poultry: To ensure poultry is not produced with arsenic additives from chicken feed, use the environmental criteria for poultry.
- Produce: Use the suggested environmental considerations in your RFIs/RFPs to help inform your purchasing decisions. Environmental considerations for produce
- Seafood: Use the suggested environmental considerations in your RFIs/RFPs to help inform your purchasing decisions.
Food service products and services
- Food service distribution
- Food production (ovens, steamers, kettles, etc.)
- Food serviceware: Generally, there are several choices when it comes to purchasing sustainable foodware. When purchasing foodware, consider the following:
- First choice: Reusable foodware
- Second choice: Compostable without fluorinated chemicals (when composting exists)
- Third choice: Recyclable foodware
- Purchasing criteria
- Environmental considerations for disposable food service ware
- Environmental considerations for dietary plastic kits
- Guide to purchasing PFAS-free food service ware
- Vendor lists
- Compostable foodware without fluorinated chemicals (CEH)
- Certified compostable products (Biodegradable Products Insitute)
- Recyclable and compostable food ware (City of San Francisco)
- Pre-rinse spray valves