Hospital and health system sustainability professionals from across the upper Midwest (primarily IL, IN MI, MN, OH, WI) share region-specific experiences and tips where climate, natural resources, and auto and agriculture industries may present barriers and opportunities to innovation and impact.
Target audience: Sustainability leads and other personnel located in the Great Lakes region mentioned above
Level: All (Beginners to advanced)
“I really enjoyed the personal connection between cohort peers, a lot of the time my sustainability job is a lonely one.”
– Cohort participant
A dozen hospitals from across the Great Lakes region meet quarterly to grow their network. Below are some of the facilities represented in the cohort:
- Advocate Aurora Health
- Allina Health System
- IU Health
- Mayo Clinic Health System
- Michigan Medicine
- Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- OSF Healthcare
- Rush University Medical Center
- Spectrum Health
- SSM Health
- UW (University of Wisconsin) Health
February 7, 2022 2:00 PM EST
Topic: Community collaborations
- How is your organization engaging with community partners?
- How does your organization prioritize which community partners to engage with?
- What are examples of outcomes that have been realized by your organization & a community partner collectively?
May 2, 2022 2:00 PM EST
Topic: Rural, community, and critical access hospitals
- What are the particular needs of rural, community, and critical access hospitals?
- How does your organization strategize the implementation of system-wide sustainability initiatives at rural, community, and critical access hospitals?
- What are the barriers to sustainability initiatives at these facilities your health organization has encountered, and how have you overcome them?
August 1, 2022 2:00 PM EST
Topic: Resilience in water: Availability and quality
- What aspects of water resilience are prioritized in your community?
- What are your organization's primary concerns related to water resilience, availability, and quality in the near term?
- How has your team justified financial expenditures related to water quality and/or efficiency upgrades?
November 7, 2022 2:00 PM EST
Topic: Transportation emissions
- How has your organization justified prioritizing transportation as an area of focus?
- What have been the most effective strategies to reduce transportation emissions at your organization and what has been the impact?
- What role has data collection served in your transportation initiatives?
Recent session presentation
||The session guest speakers Alex Kim, City of Brooklyn Park, and Matt Donovan, Mayo Clinic, shared best practices in managing campus Smart Salt programs. Attendees shared and discussed the issues such as groundwater or water cistern contamination and harm to landscaping, wildlife, and humans. Both programs resulted in reduced salt use, improved safety, and cost savings.
Ready to get started? Register today.
Sessions take place on a recurring basis using Zoom as the meeting platform. To join this cohort or any of the other cohorts, please register today. If you have discussion topic ideas or want to invite a peer, please contact the cohort facilitator.